The Sunset Arms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Song Fic Game

+2
Rainbowraider
Perhapsormaybe
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Song Fic Game Empty The Song Fic Game

Post by Perhapsormaybe Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Don't know who all would be interested in this or who's played before, but it's a pretty simple premise:

You think of a song and then write a one shot (basically minimum paragraph but don't make it too LONG either) based on that song. Then people try to guess the song. First one to guess correctly writes the next story.

Anyone in?
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

The Song Fic Game Empty Re: The Song Fic Game

Post by Rainbowraider Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:18 am

Sounds fun! Very Happy But how would people guess? Do the lyrics of the song have to be in the story somehow? If someone chose a more obscure song, I'd imagine it might be a little hard to guess correctly.
Rainbowraider
Rainbowraider

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:43 am

Typically you sneak in a few lyrics here or there without making it a whole reference. For example, say you were using "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence you wouldn't want to write:

"Wake Arnold up. Wake him up inside. Call his name..."

Cause that would also be weird and awkward. Usually I saw people try to fit in a phrase or two from the chorus wherever they felt it would naturally flow. Sometimes people chose a song that no one guessed. The original poster gives a few people a try and then if it seems like no one's getting it after I'd say about 2-3 days the original poster tries again with a different song.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbowraider Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Perhapsormaybe wrote:Typically you sneak in a few lyrics here or there without making it a whole reference. For example, say you were using "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence you wouldn't want to write:

"Wake Arnold up. Wake him up inside. Call his name..."

Cause that would also be weird and awkward. Usually I saw people try to fit in a phrase or two from the chorus wherever they felt it would naturally flow. Sometimes people chose a song that no one guessed. The original poster gives a few people a try and then if it seems like no one's getting it after I'd say about 2-3 days the original poster tries again with a different song.

Haha, that example! XD But thank you for the explanation. I think I understand how it works now. Well, I'm game. Smile Will it only be limited to Hey Arnold stuff? If so, I'd be cool with it.
Rainbowraider
Rainbowraider

Back to top Go down

Post by AibouFTW Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:03 pm

Oh wow, this sounds so fun! I'm game! but I don't want to go first haha
AibouFTW
AibouFTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Usually because it's a Hey Arnold board we would want to limit it to Hey Arnold, at least for now.

Whomever wants to go first can go ahead and go whenever they're ready. I would start but I've got loads of cleaning to do tomorrow, wedding guests tomorrow and the wedding the next day so I leave it to whoever wants to start it.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:10 pm

I want to play!! But I am too scared to start...also I have to go grocery shopping so I can't write anyway. Also I think I'm kind of into old school music so I'll have to think for a while on a song that you guys might know haha
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

http://sandyfreckles.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:13 pm

WAIT!  I know one! I've been wanting to write a fic on it for a while and everyone should know it! is there a word limit or anything? (obviously I'm not gonna write a huge long one, just wondering)
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by AibouFTW Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:23 pm

I don't think there's a word limit. It just can't be long. Maybe a few paragraphs?
AibouFTW
AibouFTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok...here's mine.  I've never written a songfic before, so I'm not sure I even did it right.  And I hope I didn't make it obvious, but I didn't want it to be too hard for the first one. It's a song I would think everyone will know.  But who knows haha ;-)

He looked up from the book in his hand. There she was, as if on cue—beautiful, shining, and untouchable.  Like the dawn breaking through the sky, out of reach, but lighting up the world--his world.

If anyone ever knew how he felt about her--how his mind was always tangled up with thoughts of her--they'd think he was crazy. But he knew he wasn't. To be honest he'd always known she was the one for him—since he was a child. But until recently he'd never admitted it--even to himself. He had been scared to find out that he was always on her mind.

She was a closed book, however.  The perfect enigma. He knew there was more to her than her snide remarks and terrible pranks. He'd seen glimpses before. He even figured that she really did still love him—she'd told him as much once before, even though they convinced each other later it wasn't real, just the heat of the moment.  She was always there when he needed someone.

Maybe someday he'd tell her. Maybe someday he'd help her realize that she truly was a good person, one who did deserve to be loved and cared for, despite if first impressions of her said otherwise. Maybe someday they would be together--the two of them.

He could wait.  He was close behind her--always just one step behind--but one day he’d be brave enough to catch up to her deep emotions and admit to her that he loved her.  Loved her more then even he could comprehend. And she could finally push away the doubt that filled her mind where he was concerned and believe.

Either way he actually had this strong feeling that their lives would collide one way or another. It would have to be a collision; with Helga it wouldn't happen any other way.
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:32 pm

"Collide" by ..Howie Day, I think? Great job with the story, whether or not I'm right!
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:01 am

Perhapsormaybe wrote:"Collide" by ..Howie Day, I think? Great job with the story, whether or not I'm right!

That's totally right! Was it too obvious? Haha. I didn't want to make it too hard!
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:58 am

Arnold's Love wrote:
Perhapsormaybe wrote:"Collide" by ..Howie Day, I think? Great job with the story, whether or not I'm right!

That's totally right!  Was it too obvious? Haha. I didn't want to make it too hard!

Because of a totally excellent fan vid it's the song I most closely associate with Arnold/Helga so I think it made it more apparent to me?

Technically by the rules I'm supposed to go next, but I really shouldn't right now (I shouldn't even be on here...) so whomever wants to go next should.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 am

Perhapsormaybe wrote:
Arnold's Love wrote:

That's totally right!  Was it too obvious? Haha. I didn't want to make it too hard!

Because of a totally excellent fan vid it's the song I most closely associate with Arnold/Helga so I think it made it more apparent to me?

Technically by the rules I'm supposed to go next, but I really shouldn't right now (I shouldn't even be on here...) so whomever wants to go next should.

Aw! It is a perfect song for them! For real! I vote AibouFTW goes next.. :-)
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by AibouFTW Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Okay!  You wanted my stuff, here it is!  Oh man, this will be so obvious!! lol

“I don’t love her, Gerald!” Arnold - my best friend - protests, his urgent whisper barely audible above the racket around us.  I don’t know why he insists on speaking in quiet tones when we’re in the middle of a party.

I raise an eyebrow at him as I look him dead in the eye.  “Then why are you frantically looking around, like you’re expecting Ronnie Matthews to come waltzing in through the front door or something.”

It’s his turn to raise a brow right back, a smirk playing at his lips.  “Ronnie Matthews?  You’ve been hanging around Phoebe too much, haven’t you?”

I shrug.  Why bothering denying something so awesome?  “Maybe.  But that still doesn’t explain why you can’t stand still on both of those feet for even a second.  Hell, it all reminds me of when we were waiting to see Mickey Kaline at that Old-Timers’ game.  You remember that?”

A chuckle escapes Arnold as he punches me in the shoulder.  “And now we’re using Mickey Kaline.  I must admit, that’s probably a better simile than…than…

The smirk drops from his lips, his eyes widening.  Without even turning around, I know.  Being the way that Arnold is, with that dopy face he’s making, is enough.  The one like he’s gazing the finest of paintings.  The Mona Lisa would have
nothing on this sight.  She’s here.

I turn to look for myself, and
damn.  I swear everyone else in the room can see it.  Everyone else but them.  The way she lights up his world like I’ve seen nobody else can.  The way she smiles at the ground the moment she sees him.  It all makes me want to pull my hair out, which is saying a lot.  If only they saw what I can see every day at school.  Every time we're at one of Rhonda's gaudy parties.

So I do what any sane person would do.  I put my hands on Arnold’s back and give him a shove,
right into Helga.  They take several moments in a flustered pile of awkward before glaring at me.  Oh man, if looks could kill.

I only shrug, giving them a, “You’re welcome,” as I leave the room.  No need for me to be there anymore.  They’ve got this.
AibouFTW
AibouFTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm

It's not one direction "what makes you beautiful" is it? I'm gonna be embarrassed is im wrong haha
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by AibouFTW Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Arnold's Love wrote:It's not one direction "what makes you beautiful" is it? I'm gonna be embarrassed is im wrong haha

That's correct!  I told you it would be too obvious! XD
AibouFTW
AibouFTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:20 pm

It took me a while and I had to read it three times haha that's one of the few more recent songs I'm familiar with.
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:04 pm

this means I'm supposed to go again, huh?
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Arnold's Love wrote:this means I'm supposed to go again, huh?

Yep!
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 am

Sorry, this took so long! Here it is! Sorry it's kind of sad. :-/ Name that song! :-)

I stared blankly ahead, lost in shock.

He was gone. Lost to me forever. And I had wasted so much time.

I felt the tears start to fall and I got up and walked to a nearby willow.

What would he think of me now? Someone who used to be so strong, so proud?

I fell to my knees with sobs and wondered to myself how someone so perfect, so loving and so caring, with a heart so big, would be the one to be taken so young with so much life ahead of them. He was the most amazing person I had ever known. My friend—even more so than Phoebe as of late.

Late. He was the late Arnold now. Deceased. Gone.

Those words sounded so final. Death is final, I suppose.

I wondered then if he was watching me. If he was up there surrounded by angels leading him in, watching me.

He would be with angels. He was an angel on earth so he would of course be an angel there too. I'd like to be there with him. I bet it's perfect. I'd tell him everything. Everything I hadn't told him when he was here with me.

How could I ever forget about him? How would I ever move on? He was the one bright spot in my life of darkness.
Maybe I'd follow in his footsteps. Become the person he was. If he was watching me, I'd want him to know that even though he was gone his memory would live on. I would carry those good traits he had, show him and everyone the real me.

In that way I would be able to honor his memory--his memory and a heart so big that it had even loved me, Helga.
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Gosh was it too hard??
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:31 pm

This is my attempt at this.

Sid sat in his room, all alone, thinking he was stuck in a dream. He felt lonely on this Autumn day. He decided to go outside into the front yard and was surrounded by colored leaves on the ground and was staring at his tree. As he explores the front yard and wanders about, he sees a boy who he can't ignore. Turns out it is Stinky in different clothing than usual, he turns his head around asks Sid if they want to hang out and Sid accepts. Sid goes up to his mother and tells her "I'm going out for a while with Stinky, don't wait up I'm not coming home for a while" and Sid and Stinky then head off into the city.
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Arnold's Love wrote:Gosh was it too hard??

Normally you'd go again after letting us know what it was but it looks like someone already went. But I do need to know what that was cause I feel like I should have known it.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Jfgoofy wrote:This is my attempt at this.

Sid sat in his room, all alone, thinking he was stuck in a dream. He felt lonely on this Autumn day. He decided to go outside into the front yard and was surrounded by colored leaves on the ground and was staring at his tree. As he explores the front yard and wanders about, he sees a boy who he can't ignore. Turns out it is Stinky in different clothing than usual, he turns his head around asks Sid if they want to hang out and Sid accepts. Sid goes up to his mother and tells her "I'm going out for a while with Stinky, don't wait up I'm not coming home for a while" and Sid and Stinky then head off into the city.

I know I know this and yet I can't figure it out.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next