The Sunset Arms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!...

+11
Perhapsormaybe
theintangiblefriends
Mony
Rainbowraider
Arnold's Love
Jfgoofy
Turchinorain
Helga
AibouFTW
Zeether
LeSkuh
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!... Empty If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!...

Post by LeSkuh Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:56 pm

How would you do it?

Keep in mind all the factors!

1) The show's been out of production for ten years
2) Some of the original VAs are grown up or have passed away
3) You still have to show it on Nickelodeon
4) Your original target audience is in their 20's

WHAT DO?
LeSkuh
LeSkuh
Admin

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!... Empty Re: If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!...

Post by Zeether Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:47 pm

I'd probably make it so that it has enough episodes to re-introduce the cast in some fashion (maybe one "Arnold has to fix a situation" episode, a Helga centric episode or two, Rhonda episode, etc.) and it would probably also have episodes focusing on characters that haven't really gotten much time in the spotlight like Sheena and Brainy (E-Files adaptation I guess?). Since Craig had a few ideas for episodes to fill those three half hours of season 5 at the end maybe I'd dig those up although he did mention on the last Arun Mehta interview he couldn't find them.

Obviously most of the technology would change. Big Bob shifts to cell phones, maybe Arnold has a new computer...

Voice actor wise I know that Arnold, Eugene, Sid and probably a few others would have to be recast. I think I'd probably write Oskar out of the show because of Steve passing away, maybe there could be an episode involving the vacant part of the Sunset Arms where he and Suzie lived (I've always thought of one about Helga and her family having to bunk there while her house is fumigated for termites)
Zeether
Zeether

Back to top Go down

If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!... Empty Re: If YOU were to reboot Hey Arnold!...

Post by LeSkuh Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Writing Oskar out would HURT, but it's also understandable because there's really no replacement for Steve.

I think having Helga and her family have to move into the boarding house for a short time is a popular idea and one I'm fond of myself!
LeSkuh
LeSkuh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeether Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Yeah, it would be great...there could be a good callback or two in that to Helga Blabs it All or something.

Zeether
Zeether

Back to top Go down

Post by AibouFTW Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Aaaahhhh. That's so difficult! I guess I would say something similar to Zeether, where technology would be changed (like Big Bob going to cell phones). One thing that could be interesting is if it occurred after TJM, where we would now have Miles and Stella as recurring characters. There could be some interesting plotlines dealing with them learning how to be parents again. But that would lead into the whole "Arnold and Helga should have gotten together by the end of TJM" issue. They could then do what Zeether (sorry to keep mentioning you, buddy, but you have made a lot of quality posts) suggested: Helga's issues are not as much of a "How do I keep my feelings a secret from Arnold?" thing, but rather a "How do we keep our feelings a secret from everyone else?" I, personally, would love to see that!

Oh man, Zeether, I love the idea of Helga's family bunking it out in the boarding house and then maybe possibly a reference to any of the "Helga sneaking into Arnold's room" episodes!
AibouFTW
AibouFTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Helga Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Ugh, bunking in the boarding house? Sounds like a nightmare. I don't even want to imagine being forced to share a house with The Footballhead for longer than 10 minutes.
Helga
Helga

Back to top Go down

Post by Turchinorain Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:40 pm

I'd probably start them off in high school, maybe their first day of freshman year. That way, at least from a production standpoint, it would make sense that their voices sound different from the original. It would also be a great way to re-introduce them back. And I always wanted to see much/little the characters would change as teenagers. And of course there would be plenty of high school and teenage hijinks like part time jobs, getting driver's permits, and good ole teenage drama
Turchinorain
Turchinorain

http://tarnisha-art.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 am

I'd probably make a few more seasons (at least 2) or make it a miniseries continuation to show what leads up to TJM.

I'm guessing
Oskar could have a replacement, it perhaps COULD have been the infamous Skyler Page (who worked on Clarence and did the voice of the main character but he voiced a character named Blaide who has an accent kind of similar to Oskar's) http://www.themarysue.com/cartoon-networks-skylar-page-accused-of-harassment/ but what he did and the controversy surrounding this, destroyed his career so he would obviously not do it (from what I can believe based on his IG he recovered from his mental illness and he doesn't work in the animation industry anymore, which is good) and it would perhaps be harder to find a replacement.

As for the child actors (this could replace) to replace Spencer Klein, Sam Gifaldi, Christopher Walberg, etc I'd think these might be good choices but I'm still debating them. Stuart Allan (although he's about 16 and his voice is changing he MIGHT work out for Arnold? It could make sense because in TJM they are like in the 5th grade now), (Thomas Barbusca (I was thinking Arnold but now to me he sounds like either Sid or Eugene, I'm guessing he could voice Sid), Joshua Rush (I was debating on Sid or Eugene, but to me he sounds more like Eugene) and I was also thinking of Atticus Shaffer (yes the same kid from "The Middle" and Peedee Fryman from Steven Universe) doing Stinky since Chris stayed on the show as he got older.

So yeah this is pretty much what I can think of for right now.

Last edited by Jfgoofy on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSkuh Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeahhhhhh... I wouldn't recommend them hiring Skyler Page. It's rough because it sounds like part of the issue is his mental health, but he also just... can't treat other people (IE women) the way he did! I imagine they COULD find someone to decently pull off the Oskar voice, but I still sort of feel like they should retire him in honor of Steve.

Part of me just wants them to get Spencer Klein back and pitch up his voice as needed. He's the Arnold who really felt the most "Arnold" to me and gave the best acting performances IMO.

It sounds like we have Franny (Helga), Justin (Harold), Anndi (Phoebe) and Lacey (Rhonda) back for sure. My biggest worry is Jamil (Gerald) because he's been fairly quiet about the reboot as far as I can tell and he's probably one of the more "iconic" voices. To the point where they literally wrote an episode about his voice changing ("Gerald's Tonsils") to keep him on the show!!
LeSkuh
LeSkuh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Maybe we would have to write Oskar out, I don't know (there could be a replacement). I'm not sure about Spencer because uh.. he retired and he probably has his own family now. I agree with Franny, Justin, Anndi and Olivia because they haven't really retired and Franny would 96% likely to come back. Maybe they can find a new VA for Gerald, to me what they did with Jamil's voice kind of made him sound a bit more creepy.
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Turchinorain wrote:I'd probably start them off in high school, maybe their first day of freshman year. That way, at least from a production standpoint, it would make sense that their voices sound different from the original. It would also be a great way to re-introduce them back. And I always wanted to see much/little the characters would change as teenagers. And of course there would be plenty of high school and teenage hijinks like part time jobs, getting driver's permits, and good ole teenage drama

My feelings exactly.  It would be a nice idea that both the old generation of fans and the new generation could enjoy. :-)
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

http://sandyfreckles.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbowraider Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Personally the only thing I'd be super picky about would be the quality of the animation. Otherwise, so long as the voice actors sound similar to the originals, I'm cool with replacing voice actors if they can't come back or are unable to.

As for the setting, I'm honestly okay with either it taking place after the TJM or in high school or anything in between. I just would like some of the original writers to come back so it can still have the same sense of humor and detail to character/setting like it did in the original show. And bring back Jim Lang for the music! 

As for what I'd like as an addition, I'd love for secondary characters to be fleshed out a little more. Maybe have spotlight episodes with Sheena, Park, Brainy, Peapod Kid, Nadine, Big Gino like they did with the other kids. And I'd love it if Big Gino could be a reoccurring bully like Wolfgang. It would be a good contrast between brawn (Wolfgang) and brains/cunning (Gino).
Rainbowraider
Rainbowraider

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 am

There is so much potential for secondary character story lines! I totally agree!
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

http://sandyfreckles.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 am

It really needs to happen!
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mony Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I like the idea of it being a continuation, after TJM, because there's still things that can be fleshed out and the new dynamic between Arnold/Helga could be interesting. I'd like there to be an episode where Arnold is at a loss about his own feelings and insecurities that he can't talk to his family about and Helga's the one who helps him out, and since she's not hiding from him anymore she can do that. I like the 'keeping it secret from the class' because that can bring interesting scenarios and frustrations between them too. Definitely want to explore Arnold's parents being back in the city and learning to be parents to a boy they missed 9 years of life of. Also really REALLY want episodes focusing on the other kids, especially the ones that didn't get much or weren't developed. I really want to see Lila treated as her own character and not just someone to annoy Helga (Arnold's thing for her is over so she'd at least not be 'the love interest' but still). In fact, I want an episode focusing on Helga and Lila understanding each other, getting their issues in the open, and becoming FRIENDS because Lila has kept Helga's secret as she promised, and I can see Helga warming up to her if Lila can be more herself because it feels like Lila kind of hides behind the over sunny personality she's got going for some reason and both girls can learn a lot from each other.
Mony
Mony

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am

I really like all of your ideas!!!!
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by theintangiblefriends Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 pm

So I know this thread has been dead for like a month, but anyhoo
I like a lot of the ideas on here.
I also think that they should write Oskar out in honor of Steve (thanks Jfgoofy for helping me realize that Steve the writer and Steve the Oskar VA were the same guy. Still embarrassed I didn't realize that earlier). Actually, I have an idea that perhaps they could do an episode dealing with *gulp* Oskar passing away. :'(
Hey Arnold! has always dealt with heavy themes and I think they could pull it off with grace and poise and heart. It would also be a beautiful way to show the value of a life and a friendship, even when it is a person who is not always the most selfless. Of course, they would have to avoid outright saying it, but HA! has been able to skirt around the death issue before without it being awkward (like in "Grandpa's Birthday").
It would be heartbreaking to loose Oskar, nonetheless. :'(
I think it would be cool to write about the gang in 7th grade, that way it could take place before "The Patakis" but after TJM. There would also be some hilarious potential shenanigans having to deal with the young characters going through puberty, but not all at the same time. It could be done with classiness and without being vulgar, focusing more on things like voice changes, growth spurts, and the tension of some of the kids still being in the "let's play" stage while some have transitioned into the "I'd rather just hang out and talk" stage.
I like the idea of fleshing out the side characters. Brainy is probably one of my favorites.  I also really really like Ray's idea of Gino being a more frequent bully. I feel like Wolfgang at that point would be more interested in gaining popularity and getting ready for the high school experience than bothering with the younger kids so it could make more sense that Gino would be the new antagonist. Of course, a good ol' Wolfgang episode or two would be a fun juxtaposition.
I also like the idea of having Arnold and Helga keep their new relationship dynamic from their peers for a while. That could lead to some hilariousness.
I personally have also always wanted to see Helga finally come out of her shell and be more open and less of a bully with the gang. Of course, she would still be just as much of a tomboy and just as sarcastic. And I LOVE the idea of Helga and Lila becoming close friends.
As long as the characters don't stare at their phones all day Wink it would make sense for the technology to be more current.
Also I like the idea of Miles and Stella being reoccurring characters. Maybe the boarding house could get a few more tenants too?
I also like Zeether's ideas of episodes to reintroduce the cast.
And of course, Jim Lang would be a must.
theintangiblefriends
theintangiblefriends

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Sun May 29, 2016 4:00 pm

theintangiblefriends wrote:So I know this thread has been dead for like a month, but anyhoo
I like a lot of the ideas on here.
I also think that they should write Oskar out in honor of Steve (thanks Jfgoofy for helping me realize that Steve the writer and Steve the Oskar VA were the same guy. Still embarrassed I didn't realize that earlier). Actually, I have an idea that perhaps they could do an episode dealing with *gulp* Oskar passing away. :'(
Hey Arnold! has always dealt with heavy themes and I think they could pull it off with grace and poise and heart. It would also be a beautiful way to show the value of a life and a friendship, even when it is a person who is not always the most selfless. Of course, they would have to avoid outright saying it, but HA! has been able to skirt around the death issue before without it being awkward (like in "Grandpa's Birthday").
It would be heartbreaking to loose Oskar, nonetheless. :'(
I think it would be cool to write about the gang in 7th grade, that way it could take place before "The Patakis" but after TJM. There would also be some hilarious potential shenanigans having to deal with the young characters going through puberty, but not all at the same time. It could be done with classiness and without being vulgar, focusing more on things like voice changes, growth spurts, and the tension of some of the kids still being in the "let's play" stage while some have transitioned into the "I'd rather just hang out and talk" stage.
I like the idea of fleshing out the side characters. Brainy is probably one of my favorites.  I also really really like Ray's idea of Gino being a more frequent bully. I feel like Wolfgang at that point would be more interested in gaining popularity and getting ready for the high school experience than bothering with the younger kids so it could make more sense that Gino would be the new antagonist. Of course, a good ol' Wolfgang episode or two would be a fun juxtaposition.
I also like the idea of having Arnold and Helga keep their new relationship dynamic from their peers for a while. That could lead to some hilariousness.
I personally have also always wanted to see Helga finally come out of her shell and be more open and less of a bully with the gang. Of course, she would still be just as much of a tomboy and just as sarcastic. And I LOVE the idea of Helga and Lila becoming close friends.
As long as the characters don't stare at their phones all day Wink it would make sense for the technology to be more current.
Also I like the idea of Miles and Stella being reoccurring characters. Maybe the boarding house could get a few more tenants too?
I also like Zeether's ideas of episodes to reintroduce the cast.
And of course, Jim Lang would be a must.

I really love your ideas!! Oh and you're welcome!!
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

One thing I really want to see is Gerald's reaction to Helga/Arnold. I always got the feeling he would oppose it at the beginning. I'd kind of like to see those two become friends.

And I'd love to see more of the episodes with the urban legends. Those were always cool. And I love the idea of Gino coming in more often! You guys have some great ideas!
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbowraider Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

Perhapsormaybe wrote:One thing I really want to see is Gerald's reaction to Helga/Arnold. I always got the feeling he would oppose it at the beginning. I'd kind of like to see those two become friends.

And I'd love to see more of the episodes with the urban legends. Those were always cool. And I love the idea of Gino coming in more often! You guys have some great ideas!

I also second (third?) Lila and Helga being friends. Smile Anything that explores new friendships/interactions and adds depth to already existing characters makes me happy. Very Happy Also second on the urban legends! I really like episodes that explore the city too because it's such a great setting.

I think one of the biggest strengths of HA is how it feels like a real place, alive and full of life. You know who the next door neighbors are, the businesses, the strange legends and folk heroes. It's big enough to have all these adventures but small enough that you know the individuals in the crowds, their stories. So I would also like the cartoon to continue the tradition of neighborhood stories too, so that viewers can also connect with that time and place.
Rainbowraider
Rainbowraider

Back to top Go down

Post by Haruko693 Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:59 am

I would have unflanderized arnolds character into the kid who would still help other kids out but still make mistakes and act like a jerk at times. Its better then making him into a Buddha like character.

Haruko693

Back to top Go down

Post by Nairobi-Harper Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Haruko693 wrote:I would have unflanderized arnolds character into the kid who would still help other kids out but still make mistakes and act like a jerk at times. Its better then making him into a Buddha like character.  

Completely agreed. I love this show, but I feel like halfway into the show, Arnold became less of a normal kid and more of some sort of god.

Nairobi-Harper

Back to top Go down

Post by SpectrumBunny Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 pm

(slams fist on desk)
MORE SCREEN TIME FOR MR SIMMONS FIRST OF ALL
There are SO MANY THINGS we don't know about him and it makes my insides angry. u_u

I'm really torn between the ideas of just picking up where the show left off and aging them up a little bit. Seeing them in their freshman year of high school would be s i c k~~~ <3
SpectrumBunny
SpectrumBunny

http://fyeah-hey-arnold-fanart.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Nairobi-Harper wrote:
Haruko693 wrote:I would have unflanderized arnolds character into the kid who would still help other kids out but still make mistakes and act like a jerk at times. Its better then making him into a Buddha like character.  

Completely agreed.  I love this show, but I feel like halfway into the show, Arnold became less of a normal kid and more of some sort of god.

Third that one. He started feeling like he already had a psychology degree at nine. He can still be a sweet kid while having some flaws.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by phantasticphantom Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:42 pm

Reviving this thread because I can lmao

I would love to see the show revamped in the 2010s without necessarily shoving it down people's throats. So things like Bob selling cellphones and updated technology wouldn't be much of a bother to me -- as long as it's not used a consistent plot device.

As far the culture and political air of the current decade goes, I would LOVE to see current ideas addressed in a digestible format for young viewers. LGTB rights, immigration, race, and just that feeling of uncertainty that comes from being raised in a turbulent environment (which could make the show more relatable to Gen Z viewers, thus creating a new generation of fans). Of course with this in mind, it's quite possible that the show would quickly become dated.

Also, I need an awkward tween HA cast. And character development. It would be nice to see characters that were often portrayed in an unsympathetic light (e.g., Stinky, Sid, Harold, and Rhonda) go through some maturation of their own. And yes, I second a more erroneous Arnold. I think if the writers accentuate his insecurities we'll be able to see more of that.

phantasticphantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum