The Sunset Arms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid

+3
LeSkuh
Perhapsormaybe
Jfgoofy
7 posters

Go down

Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid Empty Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid

Post by Jfgoofy Tue May 17, 2016 6:21 pm

What are some moments from cartoons or films that have scared you when you were you were younger?

Last edited by Jfgoofy on Tue May 17, 2016 10:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid Empty Re: Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid

Post by Perhapsormaybe Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm not going to link it because then I'd have to watch it but the clown nightmare from "The Brave Little Toaster". I believe that movie is what started my deep fear of clowns.

Also because I've always had severe anxiety issues, the scene where Triton freaks out and destroys all of Ariel's things in "The Little Mermaid" used to scare me so badly I'd watch it from another room.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid Empty Re: Moments from cartoons or movies (either live action or animated) that scared you as a kid

Post by Jfgoofy Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 pm

I  know what you mean with the clown from that movie, I haven't seen it, but I've seen the scene on the internet and damn this is freaky.

What terrified me as a kid was the Spongebob episode Wormy because it started my insectophobia due to the unexpected live action close up of a Notch Horned Cleg Fly (Haematopota Pluvialis, I'm addicted to it's scientific name for some reason) and that buzzing. I apparently found the insect footage (the horse fly and butterfly footage) on GettyImages and it was published by Oxford Scientific Films (which the crew didn't credit for some reason).

I'm going with the live action route with this one. Two scenes from the Indiana Jones trilogy (excluding the 4th one as I mean the original three) scared me real bad a kid. The first one of course was the famous scene with the ark being opened (the face melting Gestapo, the head becoming crushed and deformed, etc), it scared me a whole lot. The one that scared me the most was the human sacrifice scene from Temple of Doom (I find it to be the worst of the original trilogy, but it's still a good movie however it is very flawed and it is cheesy at times especially Willy) with a man having his heart ripped out by the main villain before being dipped into a magma pit while he's burning alive. It actually gives me chills to this day and it kind of scares me to think what the exact number of people that were sacrificed to the god Kali is.

I was also thinking that Sid would be very VERY terrified of this movie because of the fact that he attempted to do black magic with the voodoo soap doll after watching a documentary on TV, like I can imagine him being all scared and screaming in fear as he sees this scene for the first time and he has nightmares that night of him as the victim in the exact same scenario and right after he's dipped into the molten rock that's when he wakes up terrified like in Sid the Vampire Slayer.

(BACK TO CARTOONS) Probably one of the most infamous ones for me was Courage and it was most of the show and the most infamous one for me (and others) was King Ramses's Curse. and it's just the whole episode and the show does give me chills but it does make me laugh more (I was actually very scared of the show as a kid and I was kind of like Sid which I guess made me create the idea of him and ToD, I was actually too scared to laugh at the show, I think I was nervously laughing as a kid but I don't remember).

Last edited by Jfgoofy on Wed May 18, 2016 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSkuh Tue May 17, 2016 9:40 pm

All Dogs Go To Heaven - the Dragon in Hell in Charlie's dream. Actually A LOT of scenes from Don Bluth movies were pretty intense/scary as a kid. Also totally agree with JFGoofy with the human sacrifice scene in Temple of Doom being horrifying.

I also had a habit of not being scared, but having a hard time dealing with suspense in shows or even video games. I remember watching a lot of stuff from behind the couch while I sort of paced back and forth.
LeSkuh
LeSkuh
Admin

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theintangiblefriends Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Grandpa really creeped me out in this scene. It just really unsettled me.

Last edited by theintangiblefriends on Wed May 18, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
theintangiblefriends
theintangiblefriends

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeether Wed May 18, 2016 10:40 am

For some reason I used to be deathly afraid of the owl at the beginning of those Disney singalong VHS tapes as a kid. I don't know why but I remember one time I was at some thrift shop that had one running on the TV and I was like "mom, we have to get out of here like NOW." This was when I was probably around 5 or 6 years old and somehow I tolerated it a year or so later.

Also not a cartoon but the boat scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out. Then again that's a scene that pretty much everyone was afraid of. Quoth the Rifftrax: "Kids love candy, whimsical characters, and...animal slaughter."
Zeether
Zeether

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSkuh Wed May 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Zeether wrote:Also not a cartoon but the boat scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out. Then again that's a scene that pretty much everyone was afraid of. Quoth the Rifftrax: "Kids love candy, whimsical characters, and...animal slaughter."

I'm pretty sure rumor has it that that scene scared the ACTORS that were in it with Gene Wilder. But yeah that scene was freaky stuff!
LeSkuh
LeSkuh
Admin

http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeether Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 pm

LeSkuh wrote:
Zeether wrote:Also not a cartoon but the boat scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory freaked me out. Then again that's a scene that pretty much everyone was afraid of. Quoth the Rifftrax: "Kids love candy, whimsical characters, and...animal slaughter."

I'm pretty sure rumor has it that that scene scared the ACTORS that were in it with Gene Wilder.  But yeah that scene was freaky stuff!
Yeah, they were not aware of it, only Gene was. Their reactions to the candy room and the boat ride are genuinely real.
Zeether
Zeether

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe Wed May 25, 2016 7:36 pm

That Willy Wonka scene was terrifying.

This is a weird one, but I was afraid of the Owl in Winnie the Pooh for a long time (I had a really awful baby sitter and there was a tree in her yard that I was convinced looked like him riding in a hot air balloon and glaring at me....Yes, I was a weird kid)

And the Beast in Beauty and the Beast shouting "GEETTTTT OUUUT" when she's in the West Wing freaked me out as well.
Perhapsormaybe
Perhapsormaybe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfgoofy Thu May 26, 2016 8:10 am

Oh god I remember the Willy Wonka scene..
Jfgoofy
Jfgoofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

Perhapsormaybe wrote:That Willy Wonka scene was terrifying.

This is a weird one, but I was afraid of the Owl in Winnie the Pooh for a long time (I had a really awful baby sitter and there was a tree in her yard that I was convinced looked like him riding in a hot air balloon and glaring at me....Yes, I was a weird kid)

And the Beast in Beauty and the Beast shouting "GEETTTTT OUUUT" when she's in the West Wing freaked me out as well.

All of Willy Wonka is terrifying. That's I'm gonna say.
Dude, I was weird...I watched some creepy stuff. Like I loved that movie with Tom Cruise "Legend" even though it's kind of creepy...but I loved it just because of the pretty unicorns. And I loved "The Last Unicorn" which is also creepy, but hey, more unicorns.
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

http://sandyfreckles.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by theintangiblefriends Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:04 am

Arnold's Love wrote:All of Willy Wonka is terrifying.  That's I'm gonna say.
Dude, I was weird...I watched some creepy stuff.  Like I loved that movie with Tom Cruise "Legend" even though it's kind of creepy...but I loved it just because of the pretty unicorns.  And I loved "The Last Unicorn" which is also creepy, but hey, more unicorns.

So what you're saying is... you like unicorns? Wink lol
theintangiblefriends
theintangiblefriends

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold's Love Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:05 am

theintangiblefriends wrote:So what you're saying is... you like unicorns? Wink lol

I think...maybe. Laughing Laughing
Arnold's Love
Arnold's Love

http://sandyfreckles.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbowraider Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:54 am

I'm in agreement with many of what you guys mentioned. One personally I was scared of as a kid was the main bad guy dying at the end of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". I think he got run over with a steam roller? 80s/90s live action deaths in films were pretty gross (like the one in Robocop. Ug.).
Rainbowraider
Rainbowraider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down